Thursday, July 17, 2008

To Understand The Downswing, We Must Become a Downswing

I don't really know what that title means because you can't really become a downswing. But it works for cops who used to be criminals. So I've been taking some time off and really not even playing poker at all. I've been screwing around online here and there for microstakes but nothing to serious and definately have not made any deposits. Anyway I feel it is good to take this time off and study and try to understand a downswing in order to minimize such happennings in the future. Instead of playing poker with money that matters and stakes that can really hurt you if you screw up I am going to just keep on takin it easy. I've been doing alot of thinking about my game and my chosen career path. I believe my No Limit Holdem cash game is just about world class. The things I can do on the table kinds of freaks me out, especially when I am deeply lost in a big 1,2 game in Atlantic City where everyone has somewhere between 100 to 900 bucks on the table. However I would never claim to be one of the handful of the best players there is because of this flaw that continues to compromise me. I feel I am still not completely desenthesized to money and the truly great ones are. Stu Ungar was suppossed to be the best player ever, I don't feel like getting into it you can read about him if you like http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/pokergreats/stu-ungar01.htm, he is talked about like some kind of chosen one by people who knew him, like he was that good, if poker players were jedi knights he'd be the one who will bring balance to the force. Anyway he really didn't care about money at all, win it, lose it, win it, lose it. He gambled a lot and gave money away to strangers frequently. I believe this is how he maintained his winning edge, there really was no way the A game could be corrupted. The same way when you get enough rest, food and water daily you get recharged and can complete the demands of each day he could just go all year playing his A game as long as he was awake and healthy. Nothing else got in his way, no other stupid little bullshit. Me, and almost every player, some more than others would like to maintain the A game all each day but life always gets in the way. Money will always matter to me no matter how hard I try to turn it off. Now lets analyze the poker players of the world, I still am in rather good standing but not where I want to be.

Type A: The Amateur Donkey: these comprise probably less than 15% of the poker playing community. Unfortunate that its not more but they are the fish and lack fundamentals, patience, and easily tilt. I can empty their pockets almost as easy as a stripper can empty mine. Long term poker financial result: way way down.

Type B: The Amateur Gambler: you can sometimes group these in with type A's. But the clearcut gamblers comprise probly 35% percent of the poker community. They play halfway decent but are more interested in gambling and that will always overide their judgement. And why not go on tilt when you have a real job, you can afford it. Long term poker financial result: way down.

Type C: The Amatuer Competitor: I have some buddies that I may group in here, they can play but are far from a pro. These guys make up about 40% of the poker comunity. They play pretty sound but still don't know about tilt control, it's not exactly an easy game when they're in there but its beatable, their weakness will show. I sometimes refer to them as mediums, and type B's are kind of like them. Long term poker financial result: down a little.

Type D: The Pro Grinder: I feel I am right here and one of the few people who come out ahead. A pro grinder is very seasoned in the mental warfare that is poker and has few weaknesses. A lot of things have to go wrong for a pro grinder or shark to lose their money. They will outplay you and consistently and always know how to bet to win more than you do with a good hand, and always know when to fold to lose the minimum with a bad hand. And if they can't outplay you they will outwait you. However the brutal swings and mental wear and tear on the pro grinders brain make it difficult to sustain a constant flow of income and they are vulnerable at times, if your lucky you'll face them on one of those less than stellar days. These players make up about 8% of the poker community. Long term financial result: up but not way up.

Type E: The Poker Superstar: These players don't differ much from type D's in terms of skill. But their life is just easier and filled with more oppurtunity. The average superstar would most likely have more skill than a type D but thats not really to significant. They are the elite types because they have learned how to never lose the A game, and never let money or life get in the way of poker. Whether it is some special talent or experience is unknown but they are the few who have continued to see the big picture no matter how dark the road seems at the time. They feel the same all the time, bad days and good, making it impossible for the inevitable bad times to cause a downswing. These players comprise a mere 2% of the poker community and round out the rest of the few players who actually are ahead from poker. Long term financial result: way up guy, way up.

I am happy I am a winning player and will look back on my life when I'm old and remember what a superb player I was when I was a young man and become insanely jealous of young Frank. However I still need to become a type E and it would be ludicrous to call myself that now. I guess being a type D is a nice accomplishment but if I never become a type E it would of probably been better if I dedicated more time to something else. If you don't eventually reach the very top your never really going to be able to buy a house from just playing. Ofcourse there is always exceptions to every rule and likewise with what I have said, but basically, all of the above is true. What type do you see yourself as? Do you even play enough to be considered part of the poker playing community? Let me know, send me some comments. I am going to be busy evaluating my downswings and understanding what caused them, what continues to cause them, and how to eradicate them. I'm on my way to having a better job than anyone that I also love doing. As oppossed to an okay job that I love doing. These downswings will be gotten to the bottom of, I'll tell you one thing, they have nothing to do with luck.

No comments: